Les Szarka, CEO at Szarka Financial Planning & Investments, sat down with Fox 8 News to discuss investing in index funds. The major takeaway Szarka cited is to be wary of fancy marketing ploys for index funds.
- Index funds are not a type of investment; just a way to invest
- Index funds provide a passive form of investment–purchasing the S&P 500 versus individual stocks
- Index funds provide more diversification and cost-effectiveness
- Be wary of marketing regarding index funds
- Index funds are cap-weighted, so an investor may not be as fully diversified as they think they are due to concentration in a specific stock
- Don’t fall into the typical marketing trap of “low cost, low risk”
- Investors should perform their due diligence prior to investing in an index fund
For more investment solutions, visit the Advisor Solutions Channel.