The Latest News:
- Broad U.S. equities are stuck in a sideways market as a fresh bout of financial concerns over Portuguese lenders shook global markets.
- “There is worry about contagion,” Thomas Roth, a government bond trader at Mitsubishi UFJ Securities (USA) Inc, said in a Wall Street Journal article. “The theory is that it could lead to bank failures and throw us back into recession.”
- Consequently, U.S. equities experienced its largest weekly loss since April, reports Steve Rothwell for Seattle Times.
- Wall Street is heading into earnings season, and investors are expecting to see growth in profits, with a 6.5% rise in S&P 500 earnings, compared to the same period last year.
- “The market is looking for signs of strength and certainly earnings are going to figure pretty heavily,” Jim Russell, a regional investment director at US Bank, said in the Seattle Times article.
PowerShares NYSE Century Portfolio ETF
For past stories in this series, visit our ETF Spotlight category.
Max Chen contributed to this article.