“Whether or not Europe and the United States find a way out of their debt mess, there is one thing for certain – investors would now be more convinced than ever that they need to have a larger portfolio in gold,” Zhang Bingnan, vice chairman of the China Gold Association, said in a Reuters report. “The paper currency, government bonds and equities are not solid investments that can stand the test of time. Gold is the only asset that will last.”
Gold ETFs include:
- SPDR Gold Shares (NYSEArca: GLD): up 22.28% year-to-date
- iShares Gold Trust (NYSEArca: IAU): up 22.45% year-to-date
- ETFS Physical Swiss Gold Shares (NYSEArca: SGOL): up 22.31% year-to-date
- PowerShares DB Gold (NYSEArca: DGL): up 21.45% year-to-date
- ETFS Physical Asian Gold Shares (NYSEArca: AGOL): up 26.74% since January 14 inception
- UBS E-TRACS CMCI Gold TR ETN (NYSEArca: UBG): up 22.43% year-to-date
SPDR Gold Shares
Max Chen contributed to this article.
Full disclosure: Tom Lydon’s clients own GLD.