With a wealth of information available to investors at the drop of a dime, they can make quick trading decisions during and after market hours with TD Ameritrade’s 24/5 trading feature. The program continues to bolster its ETF lineup to give traders more exposure to various corners of the market and asset classes.
It’s a welcome feature, especially given that the current news cycle never sleeps.
“In the digital age, people are accustomed to a 24-hour news cycle and headlines like the U.S.-China trade dispute have a constant influence on the market. That’s why TD Ameritrade was first to introduce online overnight trading, and improving that offering is all about delivering on our promise to innovate and provide greater value to our clients,” said Steve Quirk, executive vice president of trading and education at TD Ameritrade.
It also comes as no surprise that the typical investor taking advantage of the 24-5 trading program is not of the set-it-and-forget-it variety. The majority taking advantage of the program are active traders wielding more assets versus the typical retail investor–so with that appetite for trading comes a healthy supply of capital.
“What we’re finding with our clients over the last year, is the types of clients who trade during the 24/5 session happen to be some of our best clients. They’re the most engaged clients that we have,” said Ovi Montemayor, managing director, financial markets services.
In addition to its current roster of ETFs available for 24-hour trading, it recently added 10 more earlier this month:
- iShares Core U.S. Aggregate Bond ETF (NYSEArca: AGG)
- iShares Core S&P Mid-Cap ETF (NYSEArca: IJH)
- ProShares Short Dow30 (NYSEArca: DOG)
- Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (NYSEArca: VTI)
- iShares MSCI EAFE ETF (NYSEArca: EFA)
- Energy Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSEArca: XLE)
- iShares MSCI Australia ETF (NYSEArca: EWA)
- Financial Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSEArca: XLF)
- iShares MSCI Japan ETF (NYSEArca: EWJ)
- Technology Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSEArca: XLK)
Under the current 24-5 program, the features include the following:
- 24 hours a day, 5 times a week trading via TD Ameritrade’s thinkorswim trading platform or and their Mobile Trader app.
- The ability to trade a select group of ETFs from various sectors and asset classes with more access to other securities over time.
- Extended Hours Overnight (EXTO) orders are 24-hour continuous orders that expire at 8 p.m. ET daily.
- Trading after normal market hours comes with unique and additional risks, such as lower liquidity and higher price volatility. As such, a trader’s order may only be partially executed, or not executed at all.
For more market trends, visit ETF Trends.