By Liqian Ren, Director of Modern Alpha
When I joined WisdomTree two years ago, I learned about their China ex-state-owned enterprises (ex-SOE) strategy and joked how easy it would be to explain to our clients: “My own life is a China ex-SOE story.”
As we talked with investors more, WisdomTree’s Jeremy Schwartz and I increasingly felt we could contribute more to discussions about China and Asia.
So, we’re excited to announce the China of Tomorrow podcast, focusing first and foremost on Asia and the people doing business there.
China is 40% of typical emerging market equity index while Asia as a whole is about 75% of the index. Traditional English media focuses heavily on top-line macro and political discussions, which obscures the details. We will bring the fresh perspectives of portfolio managers in the U.S. and mainland China who manage China/Asia-focused investment strategies and compare investment processes.
You can check out the first six episodes in the series below.
1. Portfolio Manager Dr. Wei Huang of The Stanley-Laman Group, focusing on Chinese and Indian equity
- Wei mentioned that although India has not harbored global tech companies like China, it is an upcoming market and has lots of rapidly growing industries, yet a small market share.
2. Mr. Ethan Yufeng Ma, partner and chief representative at law firm Orrick’s Shanghai office
- Amid the U.S.-China trade war, the stories of actual trade lawsuits were seldom discussed. Mr. Ma told us about two extremely interesting cases: one where Orrick represented an American company and the other where the firm represented a Chinese company. The details of the cases illustrate the complexities of U.S.-China trade relations.
3. Patrick L. Springer, managing director of China’s full-service financial group HuaTai
- Large Chinese firms have global ambitions, and Patrick shared his experience of working at HuaTai, which aims to be a two-way service provider, helping Chinese invest in global markets and helping U.S. investors get more familiar with Chinese equity, particularly domestic A shares.
4. Mr. John Ying Wu, who sold his own education business to TAL
- John and I reminisced about how hard it is to pass all the standardized tests from elementary to junior high and high school to college, which significantly whittles down entrants. The demand for preparing for overseas education is a reflection of the state-centered education system in China.
5. Finance Professor Nan Li of Shanghai Jiao Tong University on Chinese fintech regulations
- As I have written as well, many Chinese fintech companies are less “techy” and more “finny” than people think.
6. Mr. Winston Ma on Chinese blockchain technology and digital war
- Mr. Ma mentioned that digital currencies like Bitcoin are banned but blockchain technology is encouraged by the Chinese government.
Originally published by WisdomTree, 6/1/21
U.S. investors only: Click here to obtain a WisdomTree ETF prospectus which contains investment objectives, risks, charges, expenses, and other information; read and consider carefully before investing.
There are risks involved with investing, including possible loss of principal. Foreign investing involves currency, political and economic risk. Funds focusing on a single country, sector and/or funds that emphasize investments in smaller companies may experience greater price volatility. Investments in emerging markets, currency, fixed income and alternative investments include additional risks. Please see prospectus for discussion of risks.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. This material contains the opinions of the author, which are subject to change, and should not to be considered or interpreted as a recommendation to participate in any particular trading strategy, or deemed to be an offer or sale of any investment product and it should not be relied on as such. There is no guarantee that any strategies discussed will work under all market conditions. This material represents an assessment of the market environment at a specific time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. This material should not be relied upon as research or investment advice regarding any security in particular. The user of this information assumes the entire risk of any use made of the information provided herein. Neither WisdomTree nor its affiliates, nor Foreside Fund Services, LLC, or its affiliates provide tax or legal advice. Investors seeking tax or legal advice should consult their tax or legal advisor. Unless expressly stated otherwise the opinions, interpretations or findings expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of WisdomTree or any of its affiliates.
The MSCI information may only be used for your internal use, may not be reproduced or re-disseminated in any form and may not be used as a basis for or component of any financial instruments or products or indexes. None of the MSCI information is intended to constitute investment advice or a recommendation to make (or refrain from making) any kind of investment decision and may not be relied on as such. Historical data and analysis should not be taken as an indication or guarantee of any future performance analysis, forecast or prediction. The MSCI information is provided on an “as is” basis and the user of this information assumes the entire risk of any use made of this information. MSCI, each of its affiliates and each entity involved in compiling, computing or creating any MSCI information (collectively, the “MSCI Parties”) expressly disclaims all warranties. With respect to this information, in no event shall any MSCI Party have any liability for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, punitive, consequential (including loss profits) or any other damages (www.msci.com)
Jonathan Steinberg, Jeremy Schwartz, Rick Harper, Christopher Gannatti, Bradley Krom, Tripp Zimmerman, Michael Barrer, Anita Rausch, Kevin Flanagan, Brendan Loftus, Joseph Tenaglia, Jeff Weniger, Matt Wagner, Alejandro Saltiel, Ryan Krystopowicz, Kara Marciscano, Jianing Wu and Brian Manby are registered representatives of Foreside Fund Services, LLC.
WisdomTree Funds are distributed by Foreside Fund Services, LLC, in the U.S. only.
You cannot invest directly in an index.