So far this year, 15 commodities are moving toward an annual loss, with corn declining 40%, its largest annual plunge since data began in 1960, gold moving toward its first annual dip in 13 years and silver set to experience its worst turn in three decades. [Glum Technical News for Gold ETFs]
Looking ahead, Jeffrey Currie, Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s head of commodities research, expects “significant” declines in iron ore, gold, soybeans and copper next year. Currie points to raw materials diverging from equities after an extended period of rising prices is overshadowed by rising supply.
Some broad commodity ETFs include:
- PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (NYSEArca: DBC): down 8.2% year-to-date
- iPath Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index Total Return ETN (NYSEArca: DJP): down 12.2% year-to-date
- iShares GSCI Commodity-Indexed Trust (NYSEArca: GSG): down 3.6% year-to-date
- ELEMENTS Linked to the Rogers International Commodity Index – Total Return (NYSEArca: RJI): down 6.5% year-to-date
- United States Commodity Index Fund (NYSEArca: USCI): down 4.7% year-to-date
- GreenHaven Continuous Commodity Index Fund (NYSEArca: GCC): down 10.5% year-to-date
For more information on commodities, visit our commodity ETFs category.