ETF Trends
ETF Trends

While not classified as an “Emerging Market” by index providers, the country of Mexico is obviously geographically located near Brazil, a leading emerging market as well as other burgeoning South American economies such as Colombia and Chile.

Currently, there are a few ways to play the Mexican equity market via ETFs.

The iShares MSCI Mexico (NYSEArca: EWW) tracks the MSCI Mexico Investable Market Index and the fund has been around since 1996, giving it quite a bit of tenure on the vast majority of ETFs that are out there.

During this time, EWW has amassed about $1.2 billion in assets under management. EWW is relatively “top heavy” in that 22.34% of the fund is in AMX (America Movil), 11.03% is weighted towards Wal Mart de Mexico, and 7.93% of the fund is invested in Fomento Economico Mexicano.

So, figure 40% of the entire index is invested across three equities, with the remaining 45 positions in the index making up the remaining 60% of the index. Additionally, about a third of the index is weighted in the Consumer Defensive sector.

Showing Page 1 of 2