Exchange traded fund providers continue to introduce new products at a rapid pace.
“ETF assets under management totaled $1,039 billion as of Friday’s close, with $83 billion in new capital thus far in 2011. There have been 260 new funds launched in the year-to-date, bringing the total to 1,344,” according to ConvergEx Group.
The trend has continued in October with several launches, including a handful of leveraged products, a few small-cap funds, two Renminbi-linked ETFs and another actively managed ETF.
Ron Rowland for Seeking Alpha points out 12 new additions this month.
ETFs launched in October include:
- CurrencyShares Chinese Renminbi Trust (FXCH). Inception date 10/4/11.
- ProShares Ultra VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (UVXY). Inception date 10/4/11.
- ProShares Short VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (SVXY). Inception date 10/4/11.
- AdvisorShares TrimTabs Float Shrink ETF (TTFS). Inception date 10/5/11.
- Russell Small Cap Aggressive Growth ETF (SGGG). Inception date 10/5/11.
- Russell Small Cap Consistent Growth ETF (SCOG). Inception date 10/5/11.
- Russell Small Cap Contrarian ETF (SCTR). Inception date 10/5/11.
- Russell Small Cap Low P/E ETF (SCLP). Inception date 10/5/11.
- UBS ETRACS Monthly 2x Leveraged ISE Cloud Computing TR Index ETN (LSKY). Inception date 10/5/11.
- ProShares Ultra DJ-UBS Natural Gas (BOIL). Inception date 10/6/11.
- ProShares UltraShort DJ-UBS Natural Gas (KOLD). Inception date 10/6/11.
- Market Vectors Renminbi Bond ETF (CHLC). Inception date 10/12/11.
Along with the quickly expanding ETF universe, the industry has also seen a growing number of casualties. Over 160 funds are on Ron Rowland’s “ETF Deathwatch” list as of September. [Recent ETF Closures]
For more information on new ETFs, visit our new ETFs category.
Read the disclaimer; Tom Lydon is a board member of the funds for Rydex|SGI.
Max Chen contributed to this article.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Mr. Lydon serves as an independent trustee of certain mutual funds and ETFs that are managed by Guggenheim Investments; however, any opinions or forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Mr. Lydon and not those of Guggenheim Funds, Guggenheim Investments, Guggenheim Specialized Products, LLC or any of their affiliates. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.