Exchange traded products that follow futures on the CBOE Volatility Index (Chicago Options: ^VIX ) soared Monday as Wall Street’s so-called fear gauge rose 20% after Standard & Poor’s lowered its credit outlook on the U.S. to negative.
VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Short-Term ETN (NYSEArca: TVIX), a leveraged exchange traded note, was up more than 10% in morning trades while the Dow slipped more than 200 points.
The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEArca: VXX) rose about 5%.
- ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures (NYSEArca: VIXY)
- ProShares VIX Mid-Term Futures (NYSEArca: VIXM)
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEArca: VXX)
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN (NYSEArca: VXZ)
- VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN (NYSEArca: XIV)
- VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Medium-Term ETN (NYSEArca: ZIV)
- UBS E-TRACS Daily Long-Short VIX ETN (NYSEArca: XVIX)
- VelocityShares offers an ETN lineup that includes Daily 2X VIX Short-Term ETN (NYSEArca: TVIX)
- Daily 2X VIX Medium-Term ETN (NYSEArca: TVIZ)
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of John Spence, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.