Will the luck of the Irish trickle down into exchange traded funds (ETFs) on St. Patrick’s Day? The Ireland fund iShares MSCI Ireland (NYSEArca: EIRL) hasn’t seen many leprechauns lately, as its performance has remained lackluster at best.
The sector of the market that is found at the end of the rainbow, however, is the pot of gold. [What Gold To Own With ETFs.] With the turmoil in Japan and the unrest in the Middle East, investors may seek a safe haven. [Alternative Ways To Play Gold With ETFs.] Some investors want to go out and buy gold to hold in their hand, like an anonymous bidder for a huge gold nugget in California. They bought the 100 troy ounces at $400,000, reports Carlos Alcala at the Sacramento Bee. But why go to the trouble when you have ETFs available?
If you are lucky enough to see a leprechaun this Thursday, make your wishes, but just be sure to stop after the third one, or else that pile of gold bars may vanish.
- SPDR Gold Shares (NYSEArca: GLD) Holds physical gold
- iShares Gold Trust (NYSEArca: IAU) Holds physical gold
- ETFS Physical Swiss Gold (NYSEArca: SGOL) Holds physical gold
- PowerShares DB Gold Fund (NYSEArca: DGL) Holds gold futures
- Markct Vectors Gold Miners (NYSEArca: GDX) Holds companies that mine for gold
Tisha Guerrero contributed to this article.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.