ETF Spotlight on iShares Dow Jones U.S. Telecom (NYSEArca: IYZ), part of a weekly series.
Objective: IYZ tracks the Dow Jones U.S. Select Telecommunications Index, which is a subset of the Dow Jones Wilshire 2500 Index.
What You Should Know
- IYZ is up 22.7% year-to-date, and up 11% in the last month
- The fund has an expense ratio of 0.48% and 33 holdings
- Yields 4.3%
- The fund is primarily broken down into fixed line telecommunications, 76.6% mobile telecommunications, 23%
The Latest News
- Competition in the sector is tight – the major providers are always scrambling to offer new services at better and better prices
- More consumers are snapping up new smartphones tied to the 3G network, and using data providers held in telecom ETFs (Four ways to play the smartphone battle)
- While consumers are shutting down their land lines, other areas of telecom continue to grow, according to BusinessWeek: wireless, data and video are all hot
- Revenue in the sector is growing faster than the costs are (Reasons to watch global telecom)
- Telecom has a reputation for dividends, and some of them have the highest yields available in the S&P 500 (The next big telecom growth spot)
For past ETF Spotlights, visit our ETF Spotlight page.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.