But first, the ETF industry has a new player in ETF Securities. They’ve launched the ETFS Silver Trust (SIVR), which holds physical silver. The fund has an expense ratio of 0.30%. This is just the first of several funds for which the provider has filed, and we’ll write about it as it happens.
There are several factors Melissa Pistilli for Silver Investing News gives as to why silver might be deserving of a little more attention:
- Silver may continue its slow and steady rise to commodity hot shot as industrial demand continues;
- A faltering U.S. dollar mixed with high oil prices can give silver a safe-haven appeal;
- Silver, known as “the poor man’s gold” can have a role as an inflation hedge, too;
- The general perception of silver may eventually move more in line with reality;
- As much as 75% of silver’s production comes from gold, copper, lead, and zinc mining, which is why changes in these other industries have a large impact on the price of silver; company stocks have been on the rise, reports Daily Futures on Commodity Online
- iShares Silver Trust (SLV) up 20.7% year-to-date
For more stories about silver, visit our silver category.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.