Exchange traded fund (ETF) providers and enthusiasts, know that 2009 could be a stellar year for these investment tools, and they are grabbing this opportunity by the reigns in an effort to grab their fair market share. What’s in the pipeline?
The major breakthrough goes to Van Eck Global, who launched the first ETF to track the largest Islamic nation, Indonesia. Market Vectors Indonesia Index (IDX) tracks 25 liquid companies based in this newly tapped market. The expense ratio is set at 0.71%.
Meanwhile, Direxion managed to pull off another two new mid-cap ETFs in leveraged form, after debuting 14 triple-leveraged funds. Trang Ho for Investors Business Daily reports that the provider is also in registration for triple-leveraged ETFs covering the Dow, Nasdaq 100, the whole market, real estate, homebuilders, clean energy, China, Japan, India, Latin America and the BRIC countries.
In addition, The Sec has around 500 ETFs and ETNs awaiting their approval in the pipeline.However many are simply take-offs on already popular funds in existence. A sampling of what awaits:
- Claymore has an airline ETF in the pipeline that’s scheduled to launch next week.
- MacroShares will introduce an inflation up/inflation down fund; and a Metro Housing Up/Down set as well, tracking the Case-Shiller Composite-10 Home Price Index.
- Javelin Investmet Management is planning an Islamic ETF which follows the basic principles of Islam.
- Veritas Funds is hosting five funds for various evangelical denominations: Baptist, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist and general Christian. KLD and FTSE indexes will support this.
- Grail Advisors plans on an actively managed ETF.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Mr. Lydon serves as an independent trustee of certain mutual funds and ETFs that are managed by Guggenheim Investments; however, any opinions or forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Mr. Lydon and not those of Guggenheim Funds, Guggenheim Investments, Guggenheim Specialized Products, LLC or any of their affiliates. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.