We are almost at the half-way mark for 2008, an interesting year for the market and exchange traded funds (ETFs). As the first five months are over, ETF Guide points out the top leaders for the year and some of the laggers, with potential in the future.
Leaders year-to-date (as of June 3):
- United States Natural Gas (UNG) up 59.7%
- iPath Dow Jones AIG Natural Gas ETN (GAZ) up 59.0%
- iPath Dow Jones AIG Energy ETN (JJE) up 42.7%
- B2B Internet HOLDRs (BHH) up 40.5%
- PowerShares DB Energy (DBE) up 38.7%
Laggers year-to-date (as of June 3): Do not mistake these ETFs as write offs, they could have some potential to see the upside, but watch their trends.
- MacroShares Oil Down (DCR) down 88.5%
- iPath MSCI India ETN (INP) down 33.4%
- ProShares Ultra Financials (UYG) down 31.4%
- ProShares Ulta Short Basic Materials (SMN) down 29.5%
- iShares Dow Jones Broker-Dealers (IAI) down 25.1%
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.