This holiday season, why not go green with your lifestyle; save green, live green, think green and invest green with exchange traded funds (ETFs)? David Bach for Automatic Millionaire suggests to start green traditions with family and friends. Traditions where lavish gifts, mountains of wrapping paper, and big after holiday bills are passe, and recycled decorations, gifts from the heart ,and money in your bank are in. Here are his nine tips:
- Deck the halls with LEDs. These keep utility bills down and use less energy, and holiday lights can last an amazing 20 years.
- Green gifts are best, such as recycled silver and gold, soy candles and shopping saves gas and a trip to the frenzied retail scene.
- Wrap with recyclables such as Sunday comics, paper bags and maps. Household garbage increases 25% over the holidays so begin cutting yours down.
- Send green greetings with virtual cards or 100% recycled paper cards.
- Decorate with nature and for free!
- Host an organic potluck dinner and donate leftovers to the needy.
- Travel green – make sure your car is tuned up and your tires have enough air. This way you’ll use less energy.
- Go shopping in your closet and put together a holiday ensemble with your old clothes.
- Spend time, not money. Don’t fill your holidays with stuff-instead spend quality time with family and friends-not spending money.
And with all of that time and money you will save, invest some of it into a green ETF. Below are a few; Now go shopping!
- PowerShares Cleantech (PZD)
- Market Vectors Environmental Services ETF (EVX)
- Claymore/LGA Green ETF (GRN)
- PowerShares WilderHill Progressive Energy (PUW)
- PowerShares Global Clean Energy (PBD)
- First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge U.S. Liquid ETF (QCLN)
- PowerShares Wilderhill Clean Energy (PBW)
- Market Vectors Global Alternative Energy ETF (GEX)
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Mr. Lydon serves as an independent trustee of certain mutual funds and ETFs that are managed by Guggenheim Investments; however, any opinions or forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Mr. Lydon and not those of Guggenheim Funds, Guggenheim Investments, Guggenheim Specialized Products, LLC or any of their affiliates. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.