With so many broad, international exchange traded funds (ETFs) available in the market, it’s easy to forget what holdings each contains. This can be a problem as investors want to avoid overweighting country holdings in their portfolio. In response to this, Richard Shaw for QVM Group created a useful chart that tells investors exactly which countries are in regional indexes. In addition, Morningstar gives a breakdown of regional and country weightings for each ETF.
Some ETFs (and their year-to-date performance) that correspond to Shaw’s chart and have a wide variety of countries within them include:
- iShares S&P Latin America 40 Index (ILF) – up 22.6%
- iShares MSCI Pacific ex-Japan (EPP) – up 14.3%
- iShares MSCI EMU Index (EZU) – up 11.3%
- iShares MSCI EAFE Index (EFA) – up 7.5%
- Vanguard Pacific Stock ETF (VPL) – up 4.3%
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.