State Street Global Advisors’ ETF (exchange traded fund) Snapshot for May shows assets in ETFs grew 4% to $480 billion. Trang Ho of Investor’s Business Daily gives a breakdown of the major flows for the month:
- International ETFs had $6 billion asset growth – the greatest inflows;
- Mid-cap ETFs had an 11% increase – largest percentage increase;
- Sector and commodity ETFs were the only U.S. categories to have net outflows – losses were minimal;
- Healthcare and industrials had inflows of $436 million and $409 million – the greatest dollar inflows;
- Financial ETFs lost $1.5 billion – the largest amount of outflow;
- 32 new ETFs came to the market in May, bringing the total to 507;
- Nearly 300 ETFs are in registration with the SEC.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.