Morningstar offers some valuable tools for individual investors researching exchange traded funds. The ETF tab on the website provides:
- Commentary on general news, basics and even an ETF forum – all give investors an opportunity to understand ETF investing.
- Performance ranking allows one to sort all ETFs by year-to-date, one-month, three-months, one-year and three-years performance, as well as by trading volume. This gives investors an opportunity to look for current trends and movement within the ETF market.
- Linking to a specific ETF and one can review quotes, news, research, tax analysis, returns, risk measurement and fees for that ETF.
- The Instant X-Ray is where one can input a specific portfolio of ETFs and review characteristics of that portfolio, such as asset and regional allocation, top holdings, as well as a stock intersection. The stock intersection report is beneficial, in that it shows all underlying stocks in the portfolio and their weighing in the portfolio.
- The ETF screener lets you search for ETFs that meet your needs by narrowing down through the criteria you select.
- With all these tools, Morningstar does not give buy or sell recommendations.
The opinions and forecasts expressed herein are solely those of Tom Lydon, and may not actually come to pass. Information on this site should not be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any product.