Philanthropist and billionaire businessman Warren Buffett has long advocated for investing into the state of Israel.
In an interview several years ago, Buffett said that, “I’m not Jewish, but Israel reminds me of the United States after its birth. The determination, motivation, intelligence, and initiative of its people are remarkable and extraordinary. I’m a big believer in Israel’s economy.”
A “big believer” he is indeed. In 2006, Buffett’s company Berkshire Hathaway bought an 80% stake of Israeli tool firm ISCAR Metalworking for $4 billion, with the remaining 20% purchased in 2013 for $2 billion. Now, Buffett has launched a new campaign aimed at encouraging investing in Israel bonds.
In the past 18 months, Buffett has hosted three Israel Bonds events that have raised investments totaling $290 million, according to The Times of Israel. Last week, Buffett hosted a dinner in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, at which he helped raise $80 million in Israel Bonds investments.
“The purchase of Israel bonds is a sound investment and a deserved endorsement of a remarkable country,” said Buffett in a statement issued by Israel Bonds.
For latest news and current affairs, visit our current affairs category.