3. iPath DJ-AIG Softs (NYSEArca: JJS): Gained 58.9% this year. This ETN tracks a basket of futures on coffee, cotton and sugar. Given that they were three of the hottest commodities going this year, this fund really benefited.
4. iPath DJ-AIG Agriculture (NYSEArca: JJA): Gained 38.4% this year. Corn, wheat, sugar, you name it, agriculture was on fire. Too much rain, too little rain and a lot of demand seemingly conspired to boost prices that many think will continue to rise in 2011.
5. ELEMENTS Rogers International Commodity Agriculture ETN (NYSEArca: RJA): Gained 35% this year. Another ETN that benefited mightily from soaring commodity prices. This one tracks a basket of 20 commodity futures contracts.
The Top Leveraged and Inverse ETFs of 2010
1. ProShares Ultra Silver (NYSEArca: AGQ): Gained 182.3% this year. Silver shined this year, and leveraged ETFs felt it the most.
4. Direxion Daily Real Estate Bull 3x Shares (NYSEArca: DRN): Gained 63% this year. Despite the real estate market’s continued struggles, this fund benefited from its exposure to REITs, which were a hot asset class this year.