ETF Espresso: Stocks Open 2012 with a Bang
January 3rd at 7:09am by ETF Trends
Equity exchange traded funds were set to start 2012 with a big rally as Dow futures gained more than 200 points before the opening bell.
SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEArca: SPY) rose 2% in premarket dealings Tuesday after ending 2011 with a slight gain after dividends.
Gold and silver ETFs were also poised to open higher on Tuesday as gold prices climbed back near $1,600 an ounce.
In economic data Tuesday, markets are awaiting the ISM number for December, followed by the release of the minutes of the latest Federal Reserve meeting. As always, investors will be looking for any signs of further quantitative easing from the Fed.
Here’s a look at some of the other top ETF stories making the rounds online this morning:
- Fidelity looks ready to offer ETFs. [WSJ.com]
- Vanguard lowers fees for sector ETFs. [Morningstar]
- 5 ETFs to watch this week. [The Street]
- Complete guide to 2011 cap gain payouts. [Index Universe]
- Van Eck Launches New ETFs To Replace Six Delisted HOLDRS ETFs. [Oakshire Financial]
SPDR S&P 500 ETF
Full disclosure: Tom Lydon’s clients own SPY.